Fleming Wind Vane

Design, Construction and Use of Self-Steering Gear

Moderator: Mister Vee

Fleming Wind Vane

Postby Imajica99 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:49 am

I have recently bought a 42 foot ketch that came with a stowed Fleming windvane. I think the owners used it once or twice but unfortunately there is no manual or instructions with it. Anyone know how to get hold of a manual? I have tried the Fleming site but they don't have any downloads available.

Failing that I may sell it! Looks absolutely brand new.

Steve
Stop talking about it! Go and do it!
Imajica99
Shellback

Postby Mister Vee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:57 am

Try it out before you sell!

Windvane steering gives a freedom that you must have experienced!
Sven Heesterman

Light weight self-steering systems and new Navik replacement parts:
http://www.windvaneselfsteering.com
Mister Vee
Dogwatch

Postby HankOnthewater » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:08 am

I have a Fleming Major, although a bit old and long in the tooth. I have a copy of a copy of a copy of a manual for this, and also one for the Fleming Minor. I could mail it to you or email a scanned copy I guess, if I find a scanner. Let me know.
Hank
-take care-
HankOnthewater
Shellback

Postby HankOnthewater » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:45 pm

Just an add-on.
Have you checked the fleming website?
http://www.flemingselfsteering.com.au/austframe.html
Hank
-take care-
HankOnthewater
Shellback

windvane

Postby dabuzz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:35 pm

If you decide to sell let me know. I might be interested if the price is right.
dabuzz@hawaiiantel.net
dabuzz
Shellback

Flemming Wind Vane

Postby mawt » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:15 am

I am very interested in this Flemming vane.
Is it for sale?
:D
Timothy
mawt
Shellback

Fleming Wind Vane

Postby doug boudinot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Did you ever sell your Fleming Wind Vane?
doug boudinot
Shellback

Postby MikaMike » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:33 pm

Hey Steve,

When asked, I tell people that I did sail my Hans Christian 38 on a 7 year solo voyage around the world. The truth, though, is that my Flemming vane did most of the sailing. It worked flawlessly in all kinds of condition and didn't draw any power. No kidding...it was the best piece of gear on my boat and it never broke or shorted out. Unless you don't intend to go blue water cruising, I suggest you keep the vane and install it. Contact Kevin Fleming in San Diego or try www.flemingselfsteering.com.
I know the vane looks intimidating but it follows the same principle as all servo-pendulum vanes. With a little thought, you should be able to understand how it works whether you reach Flemming or not. The problem most sailors have with vanes once installed is patience. Sailors who are use to auto pilots and who dial their boats on a course of say 270 like to sit back and watch the auto pilot maintain that course within-in a degree. A vane,however, requires trimming sails first and even when balanced the boat may swing from 265 to 275. This often drives some auto pilot type sailors crazy. Truth is, though, that all wind oscillates. A vane follows the wind. Thus the boat sails a lazy 'S' course off the wind. The course averages out to be the same 270 with the added benefit that you are always sailing at the best angle to the wind in relationship to how you originally trimmed your sails. Thus a vane will always sail faster than a boat under auto pilot, andn also lessen the chance of the unplanned gybe. The exception being are pilots that can sail by a wind indicator in addition to a internal compass. Still, I only carried one vane on my circumnavigation while most of the boats I met with auto pilots had two, three and sometimes four spare auto pilots. They always seemed to breakdown when they were needed the most...in big winds and waves. In those conditions my Flemming became stronger.
Aboard Mika, my HC 38 I spent 7 years sailing alone around the world. For photos visit: cruisingdreamspress.com
MikaMike
Shellback

Fleming manual

Postby Vega169 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:16 pm

Sir,

did you ever scan the Fleming manual, I'd like a copy and would be willing to reimburse reasonable costs....

Bruce
s/v Anima
Albin Vega # 169
San Diego
Vega169
Shellback

Flemng windvane

Postby HankOnthewater » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:05 am

Sorry, for a looong time to reply, been "off the air" for a while. I have now indeed scanned the manual of Fleming Minor and Major. If one wants a copy (at no cost) let me know and I can email that. 28 files, page to a fle, approx 28 Mb in total.
Quality is mediocre as my copy is a copy of a copy, of a copy.
Photos are difficult to see, drawings and text are clear.
Hank
-take care-
HankOnthewater
Shellback

Re: Fleming Wind Vane

Postby Malaprop » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi, 5 or so years on - I now have a Fleming Major - old and would appreciate receiving by email a copy of the manual for the Major windvane if you still have it. Appreciate that Cheers
Malaprop
Shellback

Return to Windvane Forum